Video has great potential for improving staff training in healthcare. It can revolutionize training methods and reduce the costs involved in training in the long run.
Video is preferred over text-based learning. According to research conducted on 125 medical students, it was found that video is more effective in the long term as compared to text-based instruction.
Research by the Society for Disaster Medicine and Public Health, Inc. found out that video-based learning and live instructor sessions have no significant difference in terms of their effectiveness. In fact, conducting training through means of video online is more efficient as it consumes less time and resources.
The bottom-line, video-based learning is more effective than text-based training. It is also more efficient than instructor-led training, which makes it the best of both worlds.
However, in implementing video-based training across your healthcare organization, you might have faced two key challenges:
- Creating an easy, hassle-free process for instructors to create, upload and share videos with trainees and students. Your LMS may not be optimized for video streaming, and the same would be the case for your content management system or file sharing solution.
- Sharing videos while adhering to HIPAA compliance, making sure videos are accessible to those intended and no other. This is because videos in healthcare contain PHI and need to be safeguarded.
At VIDIZMO, we offer EnterpriseTube, which allows healthcare organizations to create an internal YouTube to share videos for health staff training. It solves both of the challenges above; by offering an easy-to-use YouTube-like platform for instructors to upload and share videos. Learners can watch these videos from any device through any browser, making it easy to consume content. All of this while ensuring HIPAA compliant video streaming.
In this blog, we’ll discuss 7 ways in which VIDIZMO can help improve healthcare staff training through means of video and e-learning.
1. Create an On-Demand Video Library for Health Staff Training
VIDIZMO allows you to create an on-demand video portal for your healthcare organization. Instructors can easily upload videos in a branded library for learners to access. As such, instructors and learners get to benefit from the following features:
- Optimized playback on any device and browser just like YouTube, through means of technologies such as video transcoding and adaptive bitrate streaming. You can read more about optimized video content delivery
- Automatic transcription and closed captions through means of AI, in around 50 supported languages.
- Private video hosting, such that the library can be accessed by logged-in users only.
- Instructors can add quizzes, handouts, surveys and timed annotations to videos.
- Learners can interact under videos through means of comments (Learners can also add anonymous comments as well).
- Instructors can edit the videos within the application. They can edit the transcripts and closed captions as well.
- Instructors can simply upload videos through a browser or assign a local watch folder from where content is automatically uploaded.
- Instructors can categorize videos, add them to playlists or collections, include tags and custom identifiers. Learners can then quickly find videos, and can also benefit from AI-powered smart video search that enables users to quickly find content using spoken words inside videos and AI-generated tags.
2. Stream Live Lectures or Surgeries for Training
Instructors can also use the same platform to conduct a live stream. This can be used to conduct live lectures, webcasts and even surgeries for remote learners. Instructors and viewers can benefit from the following features:
- Scalable live streaming that can be used to reach out to a large audience.
- Interact during the live stream using live chat, QnA and add quizzes or handouts during the stream.
- Record the stream and publish it later within the on-demand library.
- Video can be recorded from a range of recording devices, through any encoder of choice or by recording and streaming a video conference meeting.
Learn More About Interactive Live Streaming in VIDIZMO
3. Use Recorded Lectures from Zoom, MS Teams, Cisco WebEx, Polycom etc.
Staff training sessions, important discussions or other meetings conducted through video conference systems can be recorded. These recorded videos can be automatically ingested into VIDIZMO’s video portal where they can be centrally managed securely while being optimized for playback. Videos can be easily ingested from:
- MS Teams
- Cisco WebEx
- Any Other Video Conferencing Solution
Read More | Manager Recorded Zoom Meetings on the Cloud
4. Define Access for Videos or Securely Share Them
As videos may contain sensitive patient information, VIDIZMO allows instructors to ensure that videos are accessible by only those authorized and no other. The following features help in achieving this:
- Define for every video as to who can access them – select users, groups, the entire department, the entire organization or public anonymous users.
- Administrators can restrict the portal to internal use only if that’s a preference. This way, no instructor would be able to share videos outside the organization.
- To segregate content, administrators can create multiple video portals, one for every department. Each department’s portal can have its own manager to control settings.
- Sharing settings can also be restricted to a department as well, where instructors within a department can’t share videos with those outside their department.
- Administrators can define user and group permissions, as to whether they can share videos ahead or not.
- Instructors can benefit from detailed sharing features such as link sharing, guest sharing and limited time sharing.
Learn More About VIDIZMO as an Online Video Sharing Platform
5. Security Features to Fulfill HIPAA Compliance
If you are a healthcare organization based in USA or anywhere in the world, securing patient data is important. To do so, VIDIZMO EnterpriseTube fulfills all the technical safeguards as required by the HIPAA law, and even more.
- Your organization can choose to store data in the secure Azure or AWS cloud. Azure cloud is certified for HIPAA, Health Information Trust (HITRUST) Alliance, Common Security Framework (CSF), and compliant with US Minimum Acceptable Risk Standards for Exchanges (MARS-E) and more. Healthcare organizations can also choose to store and stream videos on-pemise if that’s a preference.
- You can integrate the video platform with your SSO or IAM system, to automatically sync user and group information along with their permissions (SCIM). This helps in centrally managing user and identity information as required by HIPAA.
- Through role-based access controls, you can assign users can one of the 6 roles in the system to limit actions that they can perform. Read more on video access management.
- Videos are encrypted both in transit and at rest.
- You can get detailed audit logs for the system and for each video file, listing down all actions performed, from where, when etc. These logs are encrypted and can be accessed by admins and managers only.
- You can set a custom login timeout for users to be automatically logged out of the system due to inactivity.
- You can set a customizable security policy where you can restrict external sharing of videos for the entire organization.
- You can block downloads to restrict viewers.
- The database is scheduled for a full daily backup, while an incremental backup happens every 30 minutes. Content is instantaneously written in geo-redundant cloud storage and a total of six copies are maintained, three at primary location while three at a secondary location.
- VIDIZMO also offers an optional PII redaction software to blue faces and other PHI in video or audio files.
6. Analytics to Measure ROI of E-Learning for Health
Measuring the effectiveness of your training is as important as delivering it. If your organization is able to determine what type of health training is working for staff and the benefits it brings, then and only then it can improve the overall quality of such training. Here’s how VIDIZMO EnterpriseTube can help:
- You can view engagement and completion metrics for individual content or group of content.
- You can view top-performing content and top-performing users.
- You can view quiz and survey reports through a single dashboard.
- You can get quality of experience metrics such as device usage, buffering, video load time etc.
- You can export analytics reports through means of an API, which helps in comparing video training with results such as customer satisfaction scores. Such comparison can enable you to measure the effectiveness of your training efforts. You can get separate metrics for different departments to compare and experiment.
Learn More About Video Reports in VIDIZMO
7. Integrate With Existing Learning Systems
Videos don’t operate in silos, and we understand that. This is why VIDIZMO EnterpriseTube is designed in a way to help you integrate its video streaming capabilities with your existing systems.
- Instructors can embed videos from VIDIZMO into your LMS. Learners can then access these from the LMS where they’ll be automatically optimized for streaming, transcribed into language of choice.
- Similar to an LMS, you can integrate VIDIZMO with your SharePoint for enhanced video streaming, or any other CMS.
- You can integrate with your Zoom, MS Teams, Cisco WebEx, Polycom video conferencing systems to automatically ingested recorded meetings from them.
- You can integrate with your SSO, Active Directory or IAM system to centrally manage user and group identities.
Learn More About Integrations Offered in VIDIZMO EnterpriseTube
Using VIDIZMO for E-Learning in Health and Beyond
By creating an internal YouTube for learning, your healthcare organization can benefit in the following ways:
- On-demand training saves time.
- It helps standardize health staff training.
- Make it easy for learners to revisit information.
- Improve the overall quality of healthcare.
- Video training is more effective than text-based training and helps in retaining information.
VIDIZMO EnterpriseTube is a complete enterprise video platform that does not restrict your organization to use it for health staff training only. You can use the same platform to stream all sorts of videos in healthcare. Here is an infographic highlighting 10 ways in which you can use video in healthcare.
If your organization is looking to implement a YouTube-like learning solution, please feel free to contact us or sign-up for our free trial.