Gartner, world’s leading research and advisory company, recognizes both VIDIZMO and Panopto in their Magic Quadrant report for Enterprise Video Content Management. Both solutions are designed to capture, host, manage, and deliver enterprise video, but a deeper look reveals fundamental differences in each product’s market positioning and the way they’ve built their product to address their target market’s preferences.
Neither solution is better or worse than the other, but each excels in their own market. Panopto was founded by two Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) professors, built for the e-learning market. The company continues to be best known as an online lecture technology provider. VIDIZMO, on the other hand, brands itself as a Corporate-YouTube that is flexible enough to cater each business’ specific deployment, branding, multi-tenancy, integration, and search requirements.
Flexibility in Branding and Appearance
VIDIZMO offers control over how you would like to brand your video platform – everything from white labeling the platform with your logo and theme colors to defining branding guidelines and customizing the header, footer, navigation menu, buttons/ icons, tabs, and more:
Figure 1: VIDIZMO video platform can be branded in any number of ways to offer a fully customized user interface.
- UI Elements and Controls such as sliders, carousels, and tiles can be organized and customized to create custom page layouts (requires VIDIZMO professional services).
- Pre-designed WordPress-like themes will be available with VIDIZMO V6 release later this year so businesses can either use a theme as-is, or create their own templates using a theme that best fits their branding guidelines.
- Tenant-level branding allows a business to apply separate branding guidelines for each tenant, or portal, in their VIDIZMO instance. This means each department or location could be a unique tenant with its unique user interface, created using VIDIZMO professional services.
- Cross-platform HTML widget embedding allows a business to embed VIDIZMO widgets – self-contained pieces of the software – and integrate with any of your existing hosted enterprise applications. Widget appearance can also be customized (requires VIDIZMO professional services).
- New UI templates can be created by modifying or rearranging VIDIZMO HTML widgets (requires VIDIZMO professional services) based on any mockup you provide.
- User journey customization can be requested. For instance, instead of displaying the login page and then directing users to the video library after authentication, the flow could be customized to display a Disclaimer or Consent form first, the login page second, and the video library third.
- Video player appearance can be customized with VIDIZMO professional services for branding guideline compliance.
- In-video customization can be made, like the addition of bumpers, watermarks or logo overlays. VIDIZMO professional services team leverages FFmpeg to accomplish this.
Panopto, on the other hand, offers a very clean user interface design to simplify playback for users, primarily students. This is ideal for online learning environments, but lacks the flexibility enterprises may require to customize appearance according to their specific branding guidelines, meaning it does not allow customizations.
Portal-level Autonomy and Content Segregation
VIDIZMO has a unique multi-tenancy architecture that allows a business to manage multiple video portals, one for each department or location for example. Each portal exists as a completely different instance of the software, with individual configurations and controls to allow autonomous portal usage and management across the enterprise:
Figure 2: VIDIZMO multitenancy video platform offers the maximal level of portal-level autonomy and content segregation.
- Separate portal administration and management policies
- Separate content storage
- Separate deployments (on-premises, cloud, or hybrid)
- Separate security policies
- Separate compliance options
- Separate branding
- Separate licensing
- Separate audit logs
- Separate identity management (Active Directory, Single Sign-On)
- Separate user roles and membership types
- Separate access domain and homepage
- Separate encoding profiles
- Separate Content Delivery Network (CDN)
Panopto uses a multitenant architecture too, but its benefits are focused towards providing consistent upgrades across all instances of the software, scaling infinitely as usage and demand grows and providing cost-efficiency by allowing the instances to share compute and storage resources.
While these benefits are common to any application with a true multitenant architecture, in enterprise environments, flexibility is the key. A business may want one VIDIZMO portal on the cloud, while another must be secured behind the firewall with on-premises encoding server and storage in cases where it contains sensitive content. This level of flexibility is usually not needed in e-learning environments, but when it is, Panopto users must purchase separate environments to set up different configurations.
Video and Media Search Capabilities
VIDIZMO offers powerful search features to find any piece of video or digital content with accuracy within seconds, across your video library or inside video content using:
- Video metadata and keywords using various metadata categories, tags as well as your organization-specific custom metadata fields and groups.
- Spoken words in a video using smart in-video search enabled by indexed video content from machine-generated transcripts (Automatic Speech Recognition).
- Searchable closed captions files to jump to any portion of video based on the captions or subtitles displayed in a video.
- Words that appear on-screen using Optical Character Recognition (OCR) in videos or other digital assets such as images or PDFs.
Figure 3: VIDIZMO's deep search capabilities mean you can search inside videos to find the exact point where a certain word was spoken, visible in the video slider, transcription, and thumbnail. VIDIZMO faceted search enables a multi-filter category search.
Other search features include:
- Multilingual search, i.e. the ability to conduct media search in any of the supported languages when using VIDIZMO video platform in another language.
- Faceted search, also known as faceted navigation, which allows users to optimize digital content search across the platform using multiple category filters.
- Open search or federated search to find video or media content directly from within an integrated platform such as SharePoint or Jive for a seamlessly integrated video experience.
- Digital asset search, i.e. the ability to search for non-video assets such as PowerPoints, graphics, documents as they are ingested as separate digital files or files attached to a video within VIDIZMO video platform.
- AI-powered facial, object and voice search (on V6 roadmap) to tag and search media based on participants, speakers or objects in a video, with the potential to revolutionize video search for specialized business use cases.
- Content recommendations feature shows users videos that are more relevant to them based on their search history, interests, profile, etc.
Panopto too offers in-video search, OCR-based search, and multilingual search features that are most relevant to their target marketing, but lacks AI-powered search capabilities for faceted search, face and object recognition, and speaker search.
Both Panopto and VIDIZMO provide on-premises, cloud, and hybrid deployment options.
In a 100% cloud deployment, VIDIZMO deploys the software in a fully managed, shared cloud instance in our native Microsoft Azure Cloud, or a dedicated cloud instance for your organization. Additionally, you also have the option to host VIDIZMO in your existing Microsoft Azure cloud subscription or any private cloud; both customer-managed and VIDIZMO-managed routes exist.
Cloud deployments can be completed over a single 2-hour phone call with VIDIZMO support. Installation is as simple as it gets, and IT users can also implement the solution themselves easily.
VIDIZMO offers an industry-leading on-premises deployment model that allows users to host the software behind their corporate firewall for a fully secured environment. You can deploy VIDIZMO on a single server, deploy across multiple servers for load balancing, or set up a High Availability (HA) environment with Disaster Recovery (DR). On-premise deployments are best suited for organizations that operate in highly regulated markets with stringent security and compliance needs, ones that require maximum control over their data onsite or those who wish to fully configure the application to suit specific organizational or industry requirements.
Implementation can be done in 3-5 days in most cases, while Panopto users report on-premise deployments taking anywhere from 3 to 6 months.
For customers who prefer a combination of cloud and on-premises installation, we offer a robust hybrid cloud deployment model where your organization could maintain certain data storage, hosting and streaming functions in a private cloud on-premises while maintaining the rest in a public cloud, depending on a customer’s requirements.
Flexible Pricing Model
Both VIDIZMO and Panopto offer predictable pricing models with a single licensing fee based on number of users. The pricing decreases as the number of users increases. However, VIDIMZO provides a unique active-user licensing option too.
With VIDIZMO’s active-user licensing model, your organization is only charged for the number of users that log into the system in a given calendar cycle. This means you could register all 50,000 of your employees while paying only for the 20,000 users that actually log in to the system. The cost increases when more users log in, but so does the success of your video initiatives. This pricing model is especially useful in large organizations where video consumption is unpredictable, providing significant savings.
With Panopto, customers are limited to purchasing a fixed number of licenses, whether their users sign in to the video platform during a billing cycle or not.
If you would like to know more about why you should choose VIDIZMO over Panopto or some of our other competitors in the EVCM market, schedule a meeting with us today or sign up for our free 30-day trial to see how we provide a differentiated video experience for your specific organizational needs.