Video is a powerful medium for organization-wide communication, training, collaboration and knowledge sharing. Using enterprise video in your corporate communications is a highly personalized way to reach out to your employees, partners, investors, customers, and other stakeholder groups. From CEO announcements to health and safety training to public relations activities, video will reinforce your company’s brand, mission, values, employee bonding, and help build the company’s image and relationship with employees and other stakeholder groups.
10 ways to use enterprise video for internal communication
With rapidly expanding video use cases in the enterprise, video-based internal corporate communications have gained significant popularity to among business leaders, departmental managers, and employees alike. Not only does video reduce the cost and time required to execute companywide communications but it also helps connect people at all echelons of a company through a highly personalized, engaging and interactive medium that goes a long way in establishing employee relations, trust, and loyalty while also promoting greater knowledge sharing, productivity, and motivation among teams.
Here are 10 ways your organization can use enterprise video to boost internal communications:
- Conduct live CEO broadcasts and announcements: Staying connected with a company’s top management is essential for your employees to stay informed about the firm’s overall progress, mission, values and periodic organizational updates, and even risk management. Without this, it is highly likely that your employees become disconnected with their leadership as well as the company’s overall mission and growth – which can leave them feeling demotivated and disengaged with the larger business goals and developments.
To avoid this, and to boost energy, productivity, and morale across the organziation, a firm’s leadership can leverage the power of live-streamed video sessions to frequently address all employees in real time through a highly engaging and personalized medium for scalable communication. Additionally, a company’s top management can transform the effectiveness and reception of their mass messages across the company by replacing text-based emails with a recorded video message that is much more personal, engaging and is likely to resonate better with your viewers compared to several paragraphs of email.
- Modernize and streamline corporate governance strategies: Communication is the key to corporate governance, which defines the organziational framework of every sphere of management, from action plans and internal controls to performance measures and corporate disclosure of all stakeholders involved. Ineffecive corporate governance not only casts a doubt on a company’s reliabiltiy, integrity, and obligation to shareholders but also threatens the very sustainability and survival of a business. Entire corporations have collapsed over failure of corporate governance of firms entangled in fraud, corruption, regulatory compliance failures, etc.
To promote effective corporate governance, organizations need clear and transparent communication and accountability of a broad range of stakeholders involved. To enable this, video is an extremely viable and cost effective tool to conduct all communication of corporate governence functions, business ethics, and strategies, in a clear, transparent and documentable video communications that allows periodical participation and accountability all of parties involved as well as alignment of all stakeholder interests.
- Announce regulatory updates and policy changes: Communication departments often have organization-wide announcements about changes in regulations or internal policies that directly affect employees. If not communicated effectively, such communication can get lost in an employee’s email inbox, whose incompliance or lack of implementation can have serious ramification for the company. Moreover, some corporate changes can cause concern and confusing among employees regarding their role or even job security.
To avoid this, corporate changes or policy updates can be communicated in live streamed video sessions to ensure clear communication, implementation and compliance with the said changes. Moreover, video is a more personal medium through which employees can be reassured with clear and direct messaging and any concerns or rumors can be dissipated or addressed immediately. Such videos can be delivered in real time or their recording can be circulated across the organization, where all viewing is monitored using video analytics to ensure that everybody watches them to completion.
- Administer safety, health and organizational training sessions: Mandatory training exercises such as health & safety training, sexual harassment prevention, diversity training, ethics training, and security and compliance training are all part of induction and continuous training conducted regularly across organizations. Today, no organization can afford to forego such trainings as they play a vital role is establishing corporate culture and ground rules for all employees to adhere to at all times. Such trainings are also imperative to avoiding any scandals and ensuing reputational crises. However, the delivery of such trainings makes a big difference in terms of how they are received and understood by the trainees.
For this, video-based training of such topics can be a lot more engaging and comprehensible as videos can be used to visualize or act out the contents or scenarios described as part of the training to convey the message loud and clear for all audience to comply. Moreover, delivering carefully designed videos for such trainings also indicates the level of importance the company places on compliance of such policies by its employees.
- Broadcast organizational events live: Many companies hold town halls or conferences that cannot practically accommodate all employees but live broadcasting such events can give everyone virtual access to all the activities. On-demand videos of such events can also be made available for those who are unable to attend the session live. Failure to live stream or record such corporate events prevents your employees from valuable learnings that can be acquired from such corporate activities or simply the opportunity for all employees to watch and virtually participate in corporate events, which can be a rewarding experience.
- Take charge of corporate transition communication & change management: Corporate transitions such as mergers, demergers and acquisitions can cause a great deal of angst and uncertainty amongst employees who are understandably anxious about their role and position in an often times radically different corporate structure. Such fears can negatively affect employee performance and productivity if business leaders do not manage the transition with clear communication as well as efforts directed towards employee engagement and empowerment.
For all such communication, enterprise video is a powerful tool that a company’s management can use to alleviate any fears and uncertainties while also helping employees navigate the new corporate structure or help blend two cultures together. Enterprise video communication can be used to reassure existing employees and facilitate new ones in the transitionary process by defining new roles and responsibilities or simply by guiding all employees towards success. Such communication is best done over live streamed video to ensure maximum engagement of all audience and to make the communication more personalized.
- Record and share team meetings and presentations: A lot of internal and external presentations and meetings with teams, clients or other third parties can be extremely beneficial for people to learn and extract insights from. With video, all such meetings, whether virtual or in-person, can be live streamed or recorded for sharing with other employees. Failure to do this has a tremendous opportunity cost for organizations that could benefit enormously from highly practical and hands-on field learning that could be dispensed or made available to all relevant resources at no additional cost. Live-streamed corporate meetings can also give meeting access to a large audience for them to listen in or contribute to using live video chat.
- Promote social learning, collaboration and knowledge transfer: Enterprise video is a great tool for peers to collaborate with one another or for subject matter experts to create highly beneficial ‘video libraries’ of content for everyone to learn from. Such socially collaborative video content can be disseminated across teams or departments, and it could go a long way in keeping employees engaged and motivated, while also helping maintain valuable knowledge archives.
Without documentation of such content, companies face incredible knowledge loss and lack of knowledge continuity in case of high employee turnover or retiring senior resources. Also, in the absence of social learning avenues, your employees, especially millennials, can quickly become dissatisfied with the lack of collaborative social learning opportunities.
- Reform your recruitment and induction strategies: Personalize your company’s recruitment policies by sending out video messages to prospective employees with job description videos. Request video introductions or video-based resumes from prospective candidates to optimize the recruitment process, while also engaging candidates in the process. Moreover, during induction, new hires can be provided videos for payroll education, insurance plan information, HR policies, policy explanations, etc. Failure to modernize your recruitment policies in line with changing social and technological trends, especially among millennials, can hamper your firm’s potential to attract the best and the brightest.
- Manage departmental communication and realignment: With organizations becoming global and generally dispersed departmental teams, there is often little communication of team-specific goals, metrics, updates, achievements, or progress. This can contribute to employee alienation or silo mentality, which can be disempowering and demotivating for your employees. To resolve this, team leaders or department leaders can use enterprise video communication to recurrently realign efforts and strategies, provide updates on team performances, or simply congratulate employees for a job well done. Being a highly scalable communication tool, video can produce enormous benefits for improving department-wide communication and organized messaging within teams.
VIDIZMO, a Garter-recognized enterprise video content management system, fulfills end-to-end video needs for all business communications. In a comprehensive vidoeo streaming platform, VIDIZMO empowers organizations to capture, process, store, manage, share, and stream both live and on-demand video to an infinite number of users on all devices, browsers and bandwidth conditions.
VIDIZMO also supports secure enterprise video delivery and platform access for external business stakeholders such as customers, partners, investors, media and the public. For more on this, read our blog.