In every team, unit or department, subject matter experts (SMEs) are a company’s most prized resource. With a combination of experience, expertise, and knowledge, SMEs are needed for a lot more than their specific role or job responsibilities within the organization. Due to the depth of their skill and knowledge, subject matter experts often play a vital role in many key organizational functions, ranging from employee training and mentorship to sales enablement, and even client coordination.
However, being a highly sought after professional resource at an organization comes at a cost.
SMEs are extremely busy people. As the go-to authority on their respective areas of expertise, subject matter experts often find themselves engaged in their ‘secondary role’ as a teachers or mentor, helping with tasks that demand their input, which inevitably interferes with the delivery of their primary responsibilities. With finite time, such overextended responsibilities and expectations either lead to SME burnout or shortchanging of their other work – both of which would affect their and the business’ productivity.
So how can we ease the burden on subject matter experts while also harnessing their input as trainers, mentors, advisors or influencers in various professional capacities?
Equip and empower your subject matter experts with video streaming technology
Video is a booming technology in the modern enterprise. Video is used for diverse organizational functions, including corporate communication, training, learning, marketing, and more.
For subject matter experts, video holds immense potential to facilitate knowledge sharing, collaboration, training, and preservation of veteran industrial knowledge in a flexible, scalable and time efficient manner. SMEs can simply record or live stream videos sessions, meetings or even classroom style lectures for their coworkers or subordinates to watch at their own time and on a device of their choosing.
Here’s what video-based training, knowledge sharing, and collaboration could accomplish in an enterprise:
- The trainee group or audience could be scaled to any number of employees, all of whom could watch videos at their convenience instead of being crammed into conference rooms.
- SMEs can allocate time to record the videos as per their convenience, while also saving time from not having to repeat the same training sessions over and over.
- Trainees can utilize learning videos for reference in practical situations where they would otherwise require the SMEs time and assistance.
- A video library of training and knowledge sharing videos preserves valuable industrial and veteran knowledge from subject matter experts in the case of employee turnover or retiring employees.
- Video transcriptions or closed captioning can further improve comprehension and facilitate note taking, different learning styles, or employees with disabilities.
- Live video sessions can cater to any urgent collaboration or knowledge sharing needs while also making for highly engaging sessions that increase knowledge retention and recall.
- Videos can act as precursors to any in-person meetings or collaboration sessions to ensure everyone is up to speed, which would also serve to optimize the subject matter expert's time and overall meeting productivity.
However, despite video’s usefulness in optimizing a subject matter expert's time and resources, most SMEs are not technically adept or comfortable administering enterprise-grade streaming video technologies on their own. Moreover, video delivery can range from talking head video presentations to screen capture videos or multi-screen videos with both, which might seem complicated and time-consuming for the SME to manage on their own.
To resolve this, VIDIZMO provides an easy-to-use yet powerful enterprise video platform that empowers even the most non-technical employees with the ability to record live or on-demand videos in a simple video platform. Once the video is captured, VIDIZMO automatically encodes, processes, and streams the video live or stores it in a centralized video library or repository from where the videos can be searched, edited, viewed, and shared with any number of audience, anywhere, anytime.
VIDIZMO utilizes OBS Studio, a free and open source video streaming software, to enable a screencast of the presenter’s screen capture video along with their talking head video presentation. This way, a subject knowledge expert can use a single software to simultaneously record their video using the laptop’s webcam or any other recording device alongside a screen capture video of their desktop or laptop screen.
With VIDIZMO, a company's subject matter experts can record and deliver any type of video (with or without a talking head), comprising any digital media or relevant material being shared through the session, may it be a slideshow, text, images, infographics, videos, or even just a how-to tutorial showing a particular process or procedure straight from the presenter’s computer screen. In the same video session, the SME can also switch between different media types, like switching from a PowerPoint slideshow to a video or text document, depending on the nature of the session.
All live or on-demand videos of the training session then simultaneously play in VIDIZMO’s video platform, which can be accessed by all authorized users from any device, browser, or bandwidth conditions.
Therefore, with a simple video platform, VIDIZMO can help your company make the most of its subject matter expert's intellectual capital, while also preserving it for the benefit of current and future trainees, product innovation teams, sales and marketing departments, and client servicing teams, or in their broader SME roles as educators, influencers, and mentors.
For more on how VIDIZMO allows screen capture video with talking head video presentations, refer to our blog on how VIDIZMO enables screen capture video using OBS.