In an era of technological advancement, law enforcement professionals are turning to cutting-edge, AI-backed solutions like Digital Evidence Management systems for crime solving, case resolution, and community safety.
You see, improper digital or physical evidence handling can make or break a case. Evidence needs to remain intact to stay valid — the slightest modification makes it objectionable.
A lesson learned the hard way by the Orange County Sheriff's Department as cases were dropped against 67 people because of evidence mismanagement.
What makes matters worse is that 63 of these perps were already convicted, whereas four people were awaiting trial. And the crimes in question included battery, assault, check fraud, possession of brass knuckles., and weapons smuggling.
This is more than alarming: alleged convicts walking scot-free without trial! To avoid such scenarios, the use of DEMs is at an all-time high. In 2022, the market was valued at US$ 7566.39 million, and it is expected to reach US$ 15818.49 million by 2028 — CAGR 13.08%.
The best part is that the recorded footage can be analyzed via video intelligence—raw data is converted into actionable insights!
Read on to learn the specific use of AI in law enforcement, particularly the transformative potential of video intelligence software like 360-degree Digital Evidence Management Systems (DEMS).
How is Law Enforcement in the US currently using AI?
Law enforcement agencies are harnessing AI in the United States to enhance their operations.
It is used for facial and body detection to identify suspects, streamline evidence searches, and redact sensitive information, significantly enhancing operational efficiency for police departments.
According to a recent statistic, the market for AI in law enforcement in North America is expected to reach nearly a billion dollars by 2025.
What is Video Intelligence?
Video intelligence is the capability of software to analyze and interpret visual content within videos.
It involves identifying objects, faces, text, and patterns, but this is just one aspect of video intelligence. It encompasses a wide range of functionalities that go beyond these basics.
We're here to guide you through some of its extensive capabilities in detail. Read ahead to learn about the full potential of video intelligence software, specifically in law enforcement.
Why is Video Intelligence Crucial for Modern Police Departments?
Video intelligence, powered by advanced AI, is essential for modern police departments. It enhances operational efficiency and effectiveness through:
- Facial Recognition: These technologies aid in suspect identification, leading to faster and more accurate investigations.
- AI Search Technology: Facilitates quick and precise retrieval of critical video evidence.
- AI Redaction Technology: Safeguards sensitive PII (Personally Identifiable Information) in video evidence.
- Speech-to-text Technology: Transforms spoken words in video into text for improved documentation and analysis.
What is a Digital Evidence Management System (DEMS)?
A Digital Evidence Management System (DEMS) is a smart solution that efficiently collects, stores, and manages digital evidence, especially videos.
AI-enabled DEMS automates tagging, categorization, and recognition within videos, streamlining investigations and enhancing police department productivity while ensuring public safety.
What should I look for in a digital evidence management system?
Here are some key features of a DEMS:
Facial, Body, and Object Detection
Search Capabilities and Object Indexing
AI-Powered Autogenerated Tags
Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR)
No matter the size or capacity of the organization, these capabilities empower an intelligent DEMS to enhance operational efficiency for any police department.
Click here to learn about the extensive AI capabilities within a DEMS.
Things to consider when choosing Video Intelligence Software
Police departments must look into the following areas when picking out a video intelligence software:
- Budget: Police departments should perform a thorough cost analysis for implementing video intelligence software, encompassing initial expenses and long-term maintenance to ensure financial feasibility.
- Scalability: It is imperative to select software that can adapt to the department's evolving needs, accommodating a growing influx of video data and increased user access.
- Training: Providing comprehensive personnel training is essential. Well-trained officers are better equipped to leverage the advantages of AI tools. For valuable training resources, the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) offers a range of options: IACP Training.
When making an informed decision, it's vital to evaluate specific departmental requirements and select software that aligns with budget constraints, growth potential, and the need for well-trained personnel.
Can Any Police Departments (Big or Small) Integrate Video Intelligence Software?
Larger police departments often have the resources to adopt comprehensive video intelligence solutions, typically available within Digital Evidence Management Systems (DEMS).
Whereas smaller departments opt for tailored, scalable solutions that can be improved upon when required.
A product that suffices in both situations is VIDIZMO's Digital Evidence Management paired with the Redactor addon.
Talk to us, and we'll explain what integrated video software can do for your police department.
Police departments with budget constraints can rely on VIDIZMO's stand-alone Redactor to safeguard sensitive PII in video evidence, providing a cost-effective solution.
Here are just a few of its extensive capabilities:
- Spoken PII Detection and Redaction (New Feature): Automatically detects and redacts Personally Identifiable Information (PII) like names, addresses, SSNs, and phone numbers from audio or video files to enhance data privacy.
- Image and Video Redaction: In images and videos, VIDIZMO automatically detects personal information, such as faces, license plates, and persons.
- Bulk Upload: VIDIZMO allows bulk uploads of digital files, which the system will automatically transcribe in the case of a video or audio. The system will automatically detect PII in transcripts, helping you redact specific segments of audio containing sensitive information.
Try a free seven-day trial for our VIDIZMO Redactor today. Choose an intelligent PII Redaction Solution!
VIDIZMO DEMS: Your Intelligent Digital Evidence Management Solution
VIDIZMO DEMS incorporates all the intelligent AI solutions discussed in our blog and more.
Why it stands out:
- Comprehensive Features: We offer efficient digital evidence management features, including extensive AI capabilities.
- Security and Compliance: Designed for evidence security, integrity, and legal compliance.
- Flexible Deployment: Choose a secure AWS or Azure government cloud or on-premise options that suit your organization's needs. Explore our multiple deployment options.
Get a free seven-day trial for VIDIZMO DEMS now. Or contact us, and we'll guide you through everything!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What software does the police use?
Police use various software, including Digital Evidence Management Systems (DEMS) and crime analytics tools. The idea is to abide by the chain of custody and ensure evidence is not tampered with while collecting, storing, searching, and presenting.
How is AI being used by police?
Police use AI for facial recognition, evidence analysis, and redaction in digital content. Besides that, Artificial Intelligence is used to discover evidence from its designated repository quickly.
What is video intelligence?
Video intelligence is software that analyzes and interprets visual content within videos. With it, raw data is transformed into information, providing detailed insights.
How is AI used in video?
AI is used in video analysis for object detection, facial recognition, and text extraction. Besides, with AI, there is no need to redact audio and video manually; everything can be handled with clicks.