Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the leading cloud provider and a great option to host your data: including videos. However, hosting video is different than any other form of data, as you would want to make large video files easily playable on any device, through the browser under varying bandwidth conditions.
To do so, you need to perform multiple workflows on your videos such as transcoding, adaptive bitrate streaming and caching, all of which are thankfully provided by various AWS services.
If you are here, you are probably looking to host and create an on-demand (YouTube-like) library with videos stored on an AWS S3 storage. There are two ways you can go about this:
- Build your own solution by integrating various AWS services at the backend.
- Or choose to purchase an already developed web application that utilizes various AWS services at the backend, making the process for the user as easy as it is on YouTube. Just go to a specific portal URL like this and browse videos.
In this blog, we will discuss the second option. To be more precise, our product VIDIZMO EnterpriseTube, which is a YouTube-like portal that allows you to upload and manage videos on AWS S3, while using various AWS media services to keep videos secure and make them readily playable through the browser on any device.
It allows you to create an on-demand video library where users from your organization can remotely access videos by signing in, and you can also host videos on your website publicly to stream them to anonymous users.
VIDIZMO EnterpriseTube allows you to do more than just hosting your videos on AWS and streaming them.
- It also allows you to securely stream videos, define access for each video on a user and group level, and the permissions of users within the system that can be synced with your IAM system (through SCIM).
- You get detailed video sharing capabilities, where you can share videos through multiple tokenized URLs for a single video and expire access when needed. You can share videos with guests or users in your organization with limited views or time duration of availability.
- You can define policies as to how videos are used; restrict sharing, downloading, embedding etc.
- You can interactive elements to videos such as quizzes, surveys, handouts etc.
- The video portal and player provided by the application is brandable such that you can use your own colors, fonts and layout.
- You can integrate with existing IT systems to ingest content – from Zoom, MS Teams etc. or embed your videos easily in other systems such as your LMS.
- You can create multiple portals for multiple departments, and this way access to video content can be segregated. Each portal can have its own billing, integrations and even a different S3 storage can be configured if needed.
- Lastly, VIDIZMO has been validated through the AWS Foundational Technical Review (FTR) and AWS Well Architecture Review (WAR). It's also available on the AWS marketplace.
Yamaha Uses VIDIZMO EnterpriseTube to Share Training Videos with Its Large Workforce - Read More on This Story
The AWS Services Behind Video Hosting
VIDIZMO EnterpriseTube uses a range of services to allow you to securely host videos and stream them to your audiences. An overview of the services used and how they can benefit you is discussed below.
AWS’ Simple Storage Service (S3) is where your videos and related data are stored. By storing your videos on S3, you get the following:
- Robust Security: Data stored on S3 is protected at-rest using industry-leading security standards.
- Scalability: You can easily and quickly scale up or down based on your requirements.
- Data Replication: Meet your compliance requirements, Recovery Time Objectives (RTO), Recovery Point Objectives (RPO), by utilizing various data replication features.
- Better Cost Management: You can move non-frequently used video data to low-cost archival storage; Amazon S3 Glacier and S3 Glacier Deep Archive.
AWS Media Services
AWS Media Services enable you to perform all video-related workflows to create rich live and on-demand viewing experiences for your audiences.
- Video Transcoding: This allows you to host videos with multiple renditions to enable playback on a range of devices and even in low bandwidth conditions.
- Prepare Video for Delivery: This service packages your videos into modern streaming protocols such as HLS, MPEG-DASH, and Microsoft Smooth Streaming, to enable playback on a range of devices.
- Video Security In-transit: To protect video from cyberattacks during delivery, this service secures your video using TLS or DRM.
Read More on Transcoding Videos in AWS.
AWS Transcribe service uses AI to convert audio to text. This helps in generating closed captions and transcripts for your videos. It also allows you to improve search by enabling you to go beyond the basic title and description search, and quickly find videos through spoken words. Moreover, to reach global audiences, AWS transcribe allows you to convert audio to text in around 31 languages.
AWS Rekognition allows you to analyze your video data using AI. You can use it to detect and index faces, objects, on-screen text, and topics in videos. This technology greatly helps in searching for that one video amongst a library of 1000s.
Amazon CloudFront is a fast and highly secure CDN, which you can utilize to cache your videos and reduce video load times. It ranks amongst the top CDNs in terms of performance tests by CDN Perf. Moreover, Amazon CloudFront has 225+ points of presence (PoPs) around the world to ensure optimized global video delivery.
Benefits of Hosting Video on AWS Cloud
AWS was named as a cloud leader for the 10th consecutive year by Gartner. By utilizing AWS technologies, you can benefit from the rapid innovations offered. Here’s an overview of a few benefits of video streaming in AWS.
Built with the Highest Standards for Data Security
Data is encrypted at rest and in-transit using industry standard data encryption and key encryption methods. All AWS customers get DDoS protection (layer 3 and 4 attacks) by default through AWS Shield Standard. Not only that, but AWS has a world-class team of security experts monitoring the systems 24x7 to protect your content. Read more about AWS Security.
AWS Cloud Covers a Range of Compliance Certifications
Host your video data in data centers that cover major compliances including PCI-DSS, HIPAA/HITECH, FedRAMP, GDPR, FIPS 140-2, and NIST 800-171, and more. Read more on compliances offered by AWS.
Dedicated US Government Cloud – Used by Over 6,500 Government Agencies
Host data in a dedicated AWS cloud for US federal, state, local and tribal government, and their partner organizations that is maintained and operated by screened US citizens.
Available Around the Globe
AWS datacenters and services are available in 81 availability zones and it has 275+ points of presence for edge caching. You can read more on AWS' global infrastructure here.
VIDIZMO – Utilize AWS Services for Video Hosting
Rather than getting into the complexity of developing of your own application, you can opt for VIDIZMO EnterpriseTube to conveniently host and stream videos in AWS. Feel free to contact us, and our team will be happy to guide you. You also get to benefit from our free trial to experience hands-on as to how easy it is to get started on streaming videos.
You can also visit our website to learn more about the different features we offer when it comes to video streaming and management.