In this digital world, video communication is stronger than ever. From live events and marketing to internal comms and training, video is used by most departments in every industry. Research has shown that 29% of businesses use video for operations while 24% utilize video for leadership messages. No wonder organizations are on the lookout for an intelligent enterprise video content management system. Panopto is one such platform, but it is designed for education-focused video use cases. There are tons of Panopto alternatives out there, but it is critical to research well to find the best one based on your business requirements.
Source: Forbes Insights
In this blog, we will go over the top Panopto Alternatives analyzed on the basis of 5 must-have capabilities in an enterprise video platform:
Robust Security: Trade secrets, financial plans, and employee information – video encompasses a lot of highly confidential information. If leaked, it can not only cause financial loss but also lead to loss of reputation and breach of employee trust— all in all, not something that can be taken lightly.
Private Sharing and Access Management: Finance department’s meeting recording cannot be viewed by the marketing department, while the town hall meeting has to be viewed by the entire organization (no external viewer is allowed, though). There are a variety of requirements for each video published by your organization. Opt for a solution that makes it easy for you to segregate these videos and restrict their access.
Flexible Deployment Options: Go for an enterprise video platform that gives you the flexibility to choose between cloud and on-premise (or even go the hybrid route). The vendor should be there to assist you in implementation in case you need it. Top-notch customer service should be your priority.
Data Governance: Operating in a highly regulated industry (like Healthcare) or planning to do business in a highly regulated region (like the EU)? Opt for an enterprise video platform with appropriate data governance capabilities like audit logs and the option to store your data in the region of your choice.
White-Label Branding: Ensure a consistent brand experience by choosing an enterprise video platform that is moldable according to your guidelines. A customizable platform will allow you to completely showcase your brand while benefiting from all other critical video asset management capabilities.
In 100 Words, How VIDIZMO is a Better Alternative to Panopto?
While Panopto is highly focused on the education industry, VIDIZMO EnterpriseTube caters to all types of enterprises. It is a complete alternative to Panopto while offering so much more, especially in terms of security, privacy, branding, data governance, customizations, and flexible deployment.
Unlike Panopto, VIDIZMO is a highly moldable white-label video platform that allows you to create multiple autonomous video portals with separate branding, custom security policies and administrative permissions. Above all else, its professional services team tries to cater to unique requests and differentiated use cases, internal and external alike. Education-focused Panopto falls behind in its external streaming capabilities.
Top 5 Alternatives to Panopto
As a Gartner-recognized enterprise video content management system with 20 years of experience, VIDIZMO EnterpriseTube is one of the top alternatives to Panopto if you are looking for a truly end-to-end enterprise-focused solution.
VIDIZMO has a customer-first philosophy and is designed with a security-first approach. The platform allows you to stream live and on-demand videos for external or internal audiences. Use the platform to create one or more autonomous brandable YouTube-like video portals with separate billing, custom security policies and independent admin controls in place. Overall, the video CMS provides all that Panopto does with more advanced functionalities.
Let us go over VIDIZMO’s strengths and weaknesses as a Panopto alternative:
- Provides you SSO integration with various IAM systems, directory services and third-party login services along with SCIM support for automated user & group provisioning and synchronization to ensure updated information.
You can define who has access to your videos – the whole organization, select users, specific groups, or the general public through anonymous viewing.
- Allows you to segregate your content through restricted sharing into relevant user groups or could possibly create entirely autonomous video portals for different business units or regions. These can be uniquely branded, separately billed, have custom security policies and independently managed. This is a unique capability only provided by VIDIZMO.
- Use role-based access controls to assign your team one of the 6 user roles with pre-defined permission limiting the video actions they may perform like video sharing or embedding. You can also create custom roles.
- A variety of advanced video security features offered, including:
- End-to-end encryption (at-rest and in-transit)
- SSL video streaming with forced HTTPS connection that prevents dangerous cyber security threats like man-in-the-middle attack.
- DRM support is available as an add-on.
- Offers IP restriction – you can either whitelist an IP address to allow users to access videos from a select location or blacklist IP addresses from where you want the content to be restricted.
- Domain restriction allows you to whitelist domains such that users can only embed videos on these sites or blacklist domains where you don’t want the videos to be embedded.
- Strictly govern your video data to meet your compliance requirements through the following capabilities:
- Limiting video actions like downloading, sharing, embedding for the entire organization or specific departments and users.
- Setting custom retention period.
- Monitoring audit logs of user activity tracked for each video and the entire portal.
- Storing and hosting your videos in the region and data center of your choice.
- Securely guest share videos with external viewers through an email invite to support temporary video sharing – limit the views allowed for the video and the time duration it will be available for.
- Unlike Panopto, you can also generate multiple password-protected video links to share videos with different external and internal viewers. Expire these links when they are no longer needed.
- Flexibly deploy in Azure, AWS, any other cloud of choice, on-premise, as a hybrid solution, or as a ready-made SaaS application.
- Conduct interactive live streams for the general public or a restricted audience.
- Unlike Panopto, VIDIZMO is a white label VOD platform that allows you to provide a consistent brand experience by adhering to your corporate guidelines:
- Tenant-level branding will enable you to brand each portal uniquely
- White label functionality supports logo placement, custom domain, customized email template, custom styling to bring in your brand’s colors, and much more.
- Customizable UI allows you to modify or rearrange widgets based on your preference.
- Create unique player templates based on different use cases – modify playback controls like choose to remove the option to mute or seek forward.
- Customize thesaurus based on your brand’s vocabulary – the multilingual video platform will be even more accessible to your customers
- Custom CSS available for further portal and player customizations
- Automatic transcription in 12+ languages with translation in 40+ languages.
- Extensive video search and discovery available for both platform-wide search and search inside video (powered by AI) using spoken words, on-screen text, faces, objects, emotions, brands, and much more.
- AI-based redaction is available for objects, faces and on-screen text in video files. This helps in the redaction of PII for compliance purposes.
- SCORM-compliant Video-based learning supported through
- Limited in terms of video monetization capabilities, so if you are on the lookout for a monetization-focused use case, then VIDIZMO might not be best suited.
- Simple content creation capabilities that might need to be integrated with some external tools to benefit from more advanced capabilities.
The US State Department Uses VIDIZMO For Secure Live and On-demand Streaming - View VIDIZMO Customers
Brightcove is an enterprise video platform that best caters to entertainment and OTT use cases. Hence, it is more known for its public streaming capabilities with video monetization and customer engagement capabilities like add-to-cart and CTA placements. However, it falls short in terms of private streaming use cases like training and learning and confidential video sharing.
Here is an analysis of Brightcove’s strengths and weaknesses as a Panopto alternative:
- SSO integration is possible with built-in support for the SAML 2.0 protocol.
- Content encryption is available for video protection.
- Audit logs are maintained to track the video actions each user performed.
- DRM support is available as an add-on.
- Monetization is available through plugins.
- You can create branded portals and player templates.
- Add in-video interactive elements like polls.
- Role-based access controls are limited as only 2 default roles (admin and viewer) are available.
- Content segregation is not possible as you cannot create user groups or autonomous video portals.
- Not possible to password-protect individual videos for sharing.
- It can only be deployed as a SaaS application.
- You cannot choose the region or data center for storing and hosting your videos
- Cannot integrate with video conferencing tools like Zoom and Microsoft Teams to manage your recorded meeting videos.
- The platform lacks artificial intelligence capabilities like optical character recognition and facial recognition. Hence, it does not offer search inside video capabilities
- The platform is not SCORM compliant
- Can only conduct live streams for external audiences.
IBM has also dipped its feet in the video management arena by acquiring a live streaming platform, Ustream, in January 2016. It went to combine Ustream with its own software IBM Aspera and IBM Cleversafe, to form IBM Cloud Video that offered both live and on-demand streaming.
This platform provides only the very basic video management capabilities so go for it if you have minimal video needs. It can help you design an OTT platform with video monetization capabilities and lacks in terms of internal video streaming use cases.
Let us explore the pros and cons of IBM Cloud Video:
- SSO integration is offered through Google apps and SAML-based authentication providers.
- Possible to password-protect videos
- Can create custom-defined user roles or use one of the three default user roles to restrict video actions.
- Content encryption is available.
- IP and domain restriction is available.
- AI-generated closed captions can be enabled.
- No SCIM support available through the SSO integration
- Not possible to externally share videos securely with an expiry date.
- No DRM support
- Cannot block videos from being downloaded.
- Can only deploy the solution in IBM Cloud.
- Audit logs cannot be maintained to track user activity.
- Not possible to customize security policy or retention period to meet compliances.
- Minimal branding options are available for surface-level changes in the video portal.
- Does not support SCORM content.
- No LMS integration is available.
- Not possible to add in-video interactive elements like quizzes and handouts.
Looking for a more marketing-focused video management solution? Wistia is here for you. This simple video platform will be perfect for you if your goal is lead generation and conversion. It even has only marketing-focused integrations like CRM integrations (HubSpot and Marketo). However, you might struggle if you try to use the platform for internal video streaming.
Let’s explore the platform’s strengths and weaknesses:
- SSO integration is possible with Google and Microsoft.
- Control user actions by assigning them one of 4 pre-defined user roles.
- Can maintain audit logs for monitoring of user activity.
- Geo-restriction of content is possible.
- Can generate a password-protected video link for secure video sharing.
- Marketing-focused integrations available like HubSpot, Marketo, Google Analytics, etc.
- Ad-free platform with video monetization capabilities.
- You can place clickable CTAs on videos as well.
- The platform supports unlimited users.
- Cannot live stream on Wistia. This platform only supports on-demand video streaming.
- No end-to-end encryption possible for content protection.
- No DRM support available.
- Cannot password-protect videos
- Not possible to create user groups or different video portals to segregate restricted content.
- IP restriction is not available.
- Critical integrations are missing like Zoom, MS Teams, LMS, etc.
- Only simple branding options are available that allow you to switch up portal colors.
- No AI capabilities available.
Dacast is an enterprise video platform that promotes itself as a live streaming platform. It does provide on-demand video streaming as well. However, all in all, the platform is designed to meet basic video streaming needs for external streaming, live events, and monetization. For that purpose, it falls short when it comes to internal video streaming use cases.
Let us go over the strengths and weaknesses of Dacast:
- Allows you to protect content through HLS encryption through AES support.
- Secure monetization offered through SSL/TLS encrypted paywall.
- Can password protect videos.
- Can apply IP and domain restriction.
- Can create user groups
- Logo placement is possible.
- Can place closed captions on videos with automatic translations.
- SSO integration is not available.
- Role-based access controls cannot be put in place as there are no default user roles, and custom roles cannot be created.
- No DRM support is available.
- Not possible to maintain audit logs for user activities.
- The creation of multiple autonomous video portals is not supported.
- Can custom set retention period or security policies.
- Cannot host or store your video data in the data center or region of your choice.
- No integration with LMS is available to support training and learning use cases.
- Minimal branding options are available without customizations.
It is best to choose a video platform that best fits your scale of need and the particular use case it will serve.
If you are looking for a truly complete solution with advanced capabilities, VIDIZMO is one of the best Panopto alternatives you will find in the market.