Looking for a much more detailed alternative to Vimeo, one where you can stream internally for employee training? Or manage your recorded Zoom or MS Teams meetings? Want to use the same video platform to share internal meetings, and publish external marketing videos? You might be looking to index large amounts of video and improve search, automatically transcribe videos using AI, or share videos for marketing. Vimeo is a simple video platform and won’t help you achieve all of this. It looks like you are in search of an alternative.
Videos have always been a core part of all businesses, with their importance rising each year consistently. However, the ongoing pandemic has led to exponential growth in the usage of videos by businesses. With that, the business need for a video streaming and content management solution has risen as well. A research showed that 92% of companies now believe that transformation of digital communication is a critical business need, especially this year, and 95% are searching for new methods to engage customers.
A Little Bit About Vimeo
Businesses new in the video content management world mostly jump to Vimeo as it is known as a business-oriented YouTube alternative with an economical paid solution. However, Vimeo is still just an OTT-focused simple video platform for external audience. The platform was originally promoted as a creative platform for filmmakers, producers, and freelancers in the small-scale creative industry. It also allows businesses to monetize their videos.
Suffice it to say, most enterprise customers are left less than impressed and start to look for Vimeo alternatives. The minimal features are just one of the concerns, though. The platform and its customer support are lacking in many other ways, as reflected in the 85% 1-star customer ratings on Trustpilot. Despite the live streaming feature being present in Vimeo's most expensive plan, customers have reported live streams freezing and audio disruptions. Vimeo also has many bugs and glitches in its apps which leads to a poor user experience. Users also face difficulty in finding specific videos due to Vimeo's limited searchability features. Above all, customers have reported that it is highly difficult to stop the automatic renewal of Vimeo's subscription if the customer had only bought the subscription for a certain time frame.
Enterprise Video Platform:
One of the top alternatives of Vimeo is VIDIZMO, a comprehensive business-ready Enterprise Video Platform. VIDIZMO does it all from ingesting and sharing internal video conferencing meetings to corporate communication to external marketing and sales video playback and social sharing on a brandable video player.
For a Vimeo alternative, it provides most of Vimeo's offerings and much more than that. On top of it, VIDIZMO's philosophy is to be customer-centric. It has 24/7 responsive customer support, allows customizable features, and has flexible professional services. Following are the positives and negatives of VIDIZMO with in-depth feature descriptions:
- Both internal and external portals can be formed for video streaming to serve marketing purposes as well as internal communication like CEO message and employee training
- Low-latency live streaming that can be recorded and available as an on-demand video on your VIDIZMO's video platform or shared with external viewers
- Through detailed access management features, you can define who can view your videos and who can’t, keep them accessible anonymously, organization-wide, specific groups or departments, or specific users
- Robust security features including integrations with SSO authenticator providers like Azure AD and end-to-end encryption
- Artificial Intelligence features available including automatic transcription, translation of transcription, and facial, speech and object recognition
- Integrates with video conferencing systems, LMS, CMS, CRM and much more as well allows customized integrations
- Deployment of your choice in Azure, AWS cloud, or any public cloud, on-premise or hybrid infrastructure
- Detailed analytics like geographic heat maps and quality of experience measurements are viewable in VIDIZMO's analytics dashboard
- Both platform-wide search through filtered custom attributes as well as AI-enabled in-video search for spoken words, faces and objects is possible
- Role-based user content access controls can be managed by assigned all users different roles
- Can add interactivity in live and on-demand videos by adding in quizzes, handouts, and surveys
- Can embed videos on external or internal sites, along with the option to restrict viewing to authenticated users only
- Customized branding features available to add in your branding colors, logo, and change layout through Custom CSS
- Audit logs, closed captions, keyboard shortcuts and other features to make platform secure and accessible while meeting compliances like GDPR, Section 508 and HIPAA
- The standard software of VIDIZMO is not built to support monetization, but VIDIZMO's flexible professional services can build a customized solution with monetization capabilities in case your organization requires them.
- The platform doesn’t offer screen capture at the moment and requires you to integrate with external tools. However, the integration is simple and works seamlessly.
Brightcove is another Vimeo alternative. It is an Enterprise Video Platform focused highly on video needs for media and broadcast, sports, and entertainment industries. It is known for its portal branding options and OTT support. It is possible to monetize content while retaining copyrights to your content and have added on customer engagement features like add-to-cart and the option to add CTAs at the end of the videos. However, Brightcove lacks many in-built functionalities and depends highly on several integrations to fill in those gaps. Following are the benefits and drawbacks of opting for Brightcove's enterprise Video Solution:
- Monetization can be enabled, but in a custom-priced plan only
- For ad-supported businesses, there is a plugin to place banner ads on the marketing portal
- Offers a wide range of pre-defined branding themes
- Good security features including single sign-on option and IP restriction,
- Meets most compliances, including GDPR, Section 508
- Detailed analytics viewable for media consumption like play rate
- Can add interactive elements into videos like polls
- Most artificial intelligence features not available like facial, speech or object recognition
- Live streaming available but for only external viewers for business catering to entertainment and sports viewers
- Not the best for internal streaming; for instance, if you need to stream training videos, corporate announcements etc. This is because Brightcove offers only two different user roles and doesn’t offer rich sharing options.
- Not possible to segregate content based on users or user groups like departments
- Does not integrate with Zoom or MS Teams to automatically ingest recorded Zoom meetings
- No search inside videos capabilities
The final Vimeo alternative under Enterprise Video Platforms we will discuss is Panopto. This platform is most known in the education industry used by many universities for online learning content management. The platform integrates with video conferencing solutions and learning management systems. It also allows in-video interactivity through quizzes and content creation capabilities through screen recorder and webcam. The platform has many other features, but many are just offering basic capabilities. Here is a list of pros and cons for Panopto as an enterprise video platform:
- Create videos through screen recording presentations, webcam, or webcasting
- Automated speech recognition and object recognition to search within videos
- Integrates with SSO, Video conferencing tools, LMS, interactivity tools and analytics tools
- Videos can be made interactive by adding quizzes and polls to them
- Automatically transcribes videos
- Freemium model that allows free screen recording
- The platform is highly focused on catering to online education needs
- Basic branding features available but cannot have custom color themes, domains, etc.
- An audit trail can only be obtained by submitting a support ticket
- No interactivity features like polls during live webcasts
- Minimal artificial intelligence features with no facial recognition
- No integrations with marketing tools like CMS, CRM systems except for Salesforce
- Limited deployment options focused mainly on AWS cloud or on-premise
Simpler Video Platform:
Uscreen is a Vimeo alternative that promotes itself as a video-on-demand platform for monetization by allowing customers to build their own site, launch OTT applications and monetize their content. So, it caters to customers who have an ad-supported business and want to establish their own video subscription service. Accordingly, it allows the upload and organization of video content, monetization of it, branding of the platform by customizing a ready-to-use theme and marketing it by understanding content analytics. Here is a list of benefits and drawbacks of opting for Uscreen:
- Helps build and launch OTT apps
- HD live streams can be prescheduled with live chat functionality, which can be set to be free, pay-per-view, or included in the subscription plan
- Companies retain copyrights to their content
- Can customize ready-to-use branding themes to personalize the look
- Has a very responsive 24/7 customer support
- Option to overlay animated GIFs on videos
- The platform is not designed to cater to internal use, training or corporate communication; hence no features for role-based user access control or content segregation
- Lacks most integrations, including video conferencing tools and LMS
- Cannot add other interactivity features in live or on-demand videos like quizzes handouts
- No artificial intelligence features like automatic transcription, facial recognition, etc.
- Only user analytics linked to video content available and not the quality of experience analytics to track network health
Wistia is a marketing-focused simple video platform like Vimeo that allows exclusive content to be published ad-free and without unrelated video recommendations. Integration with CRM tools is available, and in-video lead generation can be done through placing CTAs and email gates. However, it is not possible to live stream on Wistia, so things like live product demos or sales training cannot be conducted. The platform is also not made for internal use like employee training, online education, or sensitive content like corporate communication. Here is a feature analysis of Wistia:
- Integrates with marketing and sales tools like email marketing, CRM, analytics, customer support, etc.
- Can assign role-based access permissions
- Allows channel creation on a website to display video content from Wistia
- Allows unlimited users
- Ad-free platform and allows placement of clickable CTAs on videos
- No live streaming feature available
- The platform is highly focused on external streaming
- Not possible to create user groups for content segregation
- Lack of integration with video conferencing platforms, LMS, single sign-on authentication providers, etc.
- Basic branding options where you can only change player colors
- No artificial intelligence capabilities
- Priority customer support only available in the premium plan
Vidyard is the final Vimeo alternative we will be discussing. It is also a simple video platform that is promoted mainly for the marketing and sales use case. It is a freemium platform that has a free basic version for individual users to record, upload and share videos. However, for specific teams or businesses, the platform is on the pricier side, given that it is a simple video platform with basic features. Following is an analysis of the pros and cons of Vidyard's offering:
- Freemium model with a free screen recorder
- Option for video creation through screen recording, webcam or iPhone and also there is a feature to add personalized clip in the video
- Animated 3-second GIF preview can be created for email embedding
- Integrations available, mostly with marketing tools like sales, CRM, email, content, etc.
- Internal and external portal can be created
- Option to live stream
- Can make videos accessible through audio descriptions and closed captions
- CTAs can be added to the videos
- Automatic transcription available
- Ad-free playback of content
- The platform is mostly made for marketing and sales videos but does not excel in either external or internal use cases
- It is a feasible solution for individual users, but pricier for team and business package
- The platform has basic branding features
- Only possible to create custom groups and custom roles within those groups as no pre-defined roles exist in Vidyard
- No Quality pf experience analytics available to track network health
- No in-video search available for words, faces or objects
- Lacking in terms of several artificial intelligence capabilities like facial, object and speech recognition
- Cannot monetize content
- Not an OTT platform
- No LMS and video conferencing software integrations except for Zoom
It is quite apparent that there are various advanced and basic Vimeo alternatives out there for you to choose from. There is no right or wrong answer. The decision simply depends upon your specific business need. If it is just to monetize your videos while retaining ownership or marketing your videos, then a simple video platform might be suitable for you. However, suppose you have a large-scale set-up and require an enterprise video platform that helps manage both internal communication content as well as external marketing content in the form of live and on-demand streaming in a secure and compliant environment. In that case, a comprehensive enterprise video platform like VIDIZMO will be perfect for you. If that is the case, then try VIDIZMO's platform today to test all these useful features.