Online learning has taken over the world by storm, and video learning platforms are all the rage. It has given a twist to the traditional means of delivering training to businesses and educational institutes alike.
Did you know online learning has proven to be more effective and cheaper while requiring lesser time and resources than traditional learning tactics? Hence, organizations constantly search for the best video learning platforms to effectively fulfill their online training needs.
In Brazil, a study on 3600 employees over 6 months, has shown that taking part in online training can positively impact your behavior, and ultimately your job performance.
This explains why there is a vital need for you to find the best video learning platform.
Moreover, with Covid-19 pushing educational institutes and enterprises to work remotely, online learning platforms are the only way forward for them to survive. But why enterprises, you may ask?
With the changing times, your organization can only remain competitive if you are able to redeploy, reskill and upskill your existing talent. Read this insightful article by McKinsey discussing when to redeploy, reskill or upskill an employee.
Before we begin, it is important to note that there are a variety of video learning platforms out there. For better clarity, let us break down the list into 3 categories:
- Video Platform to Host Your Online Training Courses: Internal YouTube-like platforms for you to not only upload your videos but also effectively organize, search, secure, share, analyze, and completely manage.
- Massive Open Online Courses (3rd Party Online Courses): Platforms like Udemy and Coursera that sell ready-made courses for different industries.
- Video Conferencing Platforms: Virtual meeting platforms like Zoom for you to replace real-life training with online video calls.
Table of Contents
Top Features of a Video Training Platform
Now, you might be wondering what you should look for in video learning platforms? The most crucial things to look out for are:
- Ease of use – training platform should not require another training in itself for learners to start the course
- Security and Privacy – avoid any chances of a security breach and restrict access to only the authenticated users (for private courses)
- Integrations with other IT systems – no one works in a silo any longer
- Compatibility with other devices and browsers – ensuring accessibility for learners at the office, on campus, on the go or at home
- Interactive elements – the specialty of video is its engaging nature, and interactive elements further encourage active learning
Why Utilize Video Hosting to Deliver Online Training
Videos have time and again proven their value in modern-day training content compared to other traditional media assets like lengthy textual documents.
But what exactly are the benefits of utilizing video hosting for online training courses? Here are the most critical ones.
- Information retention through video assets exponentially enhances – with a mere 2-hour course split up into smaller videos, 5,164 students of 21 schools were delivered CPR training which they were able to recall even when tested after 6 months
- Video provides an audio-visual learning experience, unlike books that just offer visual information and lectures or podcasts that deliver only auditory information
- Live or On-demand? You Pick! You have the flexibility to have both live and self-paced asynchronous video courses by simply recording the live training or uploading a pre-recorded edited one. You can even create a video consulting platform and use similar video types to deliver a superior experience to your clients.
Video Platform to Host Your Online Training Courses
Here is your all-in-one training solution. It not only allows you to stream your live and on-demand training content but also allows you to manage these critical video assets covering everything from video storage to security to analytics to sharing.
It is kind of like YouTube in theory, but there is so much more to it. While YouTube caters well to individual public content creators, it is definitely not a platform made to handle internal or private training requirements.
The best part? The platform will be entirely in your control with no external disruptions like other content recommendations (including your competitors’ content) and no adverts. You will also not lose ownership of your content.
Let’s explore the top online training video hosting platform:
VIDIZMO EnterpriseTube is an easy-to-use YouTube-like enterprise video training platform – a ready-made solution with cross-device and cross-browser compatibility.It allows you to create your company's own YouTube for learning:
- You can conduct live training sessions for hundreds of thousands of learners globally.
- Record and publish these sequenced in a playlist as various online training courses.
- Upload your pre-existing and newly created on-demand training videos on the portal to create asynchronous training courses.
You can organize, slice, and dice your content by editing your videos and creating playlists, attaching tags and splitting videos into categories for structured learning.
There are various in-video interactive elements like quizzes to information retention, downloadable handouts to provide additional information, or even surveys and polls to further engage learners.
The platform caters to both internal and external training – privately stream it to authenticated users only or publicly stream to anonymous users.
For further restricted viewing, you can segregate videos into different user groups or create entirely separate autonomous video portals for different locations, departments, or projects.
Videos and entire course playlists can be shared securely with internal or external users for a limited time and views. You can even generate multiple expirable links to share the same video with different people. Delete any link that is no longer required.
VIDIZMO also does not operate in a silo. The platform can seamlessly integrate with various IT systems like bringing video right to your Learning Management System (LMS) and integrating with video conferencing tools like Zoom & MS Teams to auto-ingest meeting recordings and securely managing these like any other video asset.
VIDIZMO also caters to a variety of industries’ training needs, including:
- Health staff training
- Energy sector training
- Pharma Training
- Police training
- Logistics training
- Hospitality training
- Construction safety training
- Fashion retail sales training
- Referee training
Above all else, VIDIZMO is not just a corporate video training solution is a complete enterprise video platform with many other features for every video use case. It can be a consolidated platform for training and learning, knowledge management, marketing and sales, corporate communication, live events, and video archival.
Kaltura is another video platform used for e-learning. Initially, the platform was created to cater to the media industry as a broadcasting OTT video streaming solution with broadcasting services. It now caters to other industries as well, including the education industry.
The solution is fragmented in nature with various plugins and video APIs – it needs to be built from scratch.
Given the amount of time and technical expertise required, this solution will be suitable for large-scale organizations with an in-house IT department only if they have unique custom requirements not available in any other ready-made video platform.
For training needs, however, it would mean a lot of customization to covert the OTT-focused solution to a training-focused video solution. Hence, the pricing structure is also drastically fragmented based on the custom requirements you may have.
One major con to keep in mind is that Kaltura’s platform does not provide any live support. Your tech team will need to keep continuous contact with Kaltura’s customer support, which has a reputation to take quite a bit of time to respond.
Massive Open Online Courses (3rd Party Online Learning Platforms)
If you do not want to create your own course but just want to utilize ready-made 3rd party training courses by reputable institutes, you can go for Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) which are commonly known as online learning platforms. Keep in mind that these are generic courses that are not specific to any company or industry.
These courses are mostly better if you are an individual looking for courses and certifications to learn and grow. In 2019, it was reported that 110 million learners were enrolled in courses. Many educators also utilize these courses as an additional learning source on top of their own lectures.
Udemy is one of the largest video learning providers, with up to 150,000 courses in around 60+ languages. It offers some courses free of cost, and all the rest are available for different prices. It does offer plenty of discounts throughout the year.
It covers a wide range of courses spanning from office productivity and photography to bitcoin and finance. There are even some personal development courses available as well. With the platform’s wide user base, these online classes can help learners expand their network and connect with some renowned industry experts.
edX is another leading MOOC platform. The platform is a joint venture between Harvard University and MIT with over 2,500 courses from more than 100 educational institutes.
With two of the most prestigious universities as creators of this platform, many more well-recognized professional certifications are available. Plus, the platform even offers some MicroBachelors and MicroMasters programs that can help students gain college credits.
Video Conferencing Platforms
Video conferencing platforms are the most well-known of the three categories with their widespread usage during the pandemic. These are basically platforms for online video meetings and webinars with built-in features like screen recording, chat, and screen sharing.
These are real-time meetings with a small team where all participants may speak and contribute. These platforms boost remote collaboration, enable effective long-distance communication, and reduce travel costs. They were definitely the savior for the business and education world when all offices were closed during the lockdowns.
For training purposes, these platforms are used to conduct live training sessions and then the recorded training session can be ingested in a video platform like VIDIZMO to create reusable training assets for asynchronous learning.
Zoom has been on the rise since the emergence of the pandemic. Almost every organization uses it for one-on-one chats that can escalate into a group phone call, training sessions and webinars for internal and external audiences.
However, the recent privacy and security scares have raised red flags for the users. Hence, Zoom has updated its platform quite a bit to cater to these rising concerns. It does provide end-to-end encryption and role-based user security with collaboration tools.
However, it is still lacking in terms of its recording security features, so it is best to move these recordings to a secure video platform for future usage.
As we all know, Skype is a web-based communication tool that provides instant messaging and video conferencing capabilities. Even though this platform does not offer an on-demand feature, there are other pros of using Skype.
In terms of educational perspective, it can be used to collaborate on projects, polish language skills, connect with other students of different cultures, or present their dissertation to their respective committee.
Teachers and students have the opportunity to participate in a virtual tour of historical places, communicate and collaborate with researchers and engage in discussions with classrooms around the world. Hence, Skype offers a basic platform for student growth and development.
Demand for educational videos has expanded over the past few years, and there are plenty of reasons to use some of these top video learning platforms. They save time, last a lifetime, ensure better retention, are accessible anywhere and are much more fun to learn from.
All in all, choosing a platform is totally depends on your requirements:
- Do you want to create your own training course focused on your organization’s objectives? Go for a video hosting platform for online training.
- Are you a student looking to enhance personal skills or a professional wanting to increase your career prospects? Go for a course on any of the MOOCs.
- Are you looking to deliver real-time training online to a small group of learners? Go for a video conferencing platform and better yet make it last a lifetime by integrating with a video platform.
The choice is yours!
Still curious how a video hosting platform for online training works?
Contact us to get a free demo or better yet opt for our free trial to play around with the platform yourself!